Tuesday 23 August 2011

The importance of "Get it on Time"

I was frankly absolutely appalled when I read the article yesterday afternoon in the latest edition of "The Parkinson" about the treatment that was experienced by David Hutchings whilst in hospital in 2008. In fact, I am so appalled that my customary ability to adequately type at the moment is littered with mistakes and my fingers have gone on strike. The resting tremor in my right arm is as bad as it has been in a long time! I was wide awake at 4 o'clock this morning thinking about this, and as a result here I am, an hour and a half later, at my PC, blogging.

I'm not going to repeat the story here, there is no point. But, if you haven't read it, you should - its on page 20 and is titled "This shouldn't happen to anyone else". On recounting the tale to my husband and my mother, they were as appalled as I was. The treatment David and his wife received was unbelievable and the consequences were frankly catastrophic. Not only that, but the costs which would have undoubtedly been incurred to the NHS were costs that could have so easily been avoided had David received the right meds at the right time. In short, David and his wife were robbed of what should have been a well-earned and happy retirement together.

Unfortunately the older generation, instead of receiving the respect and due care and attention that is rightfully theirs when in hospital, can be at risk of being victims instead. (I would like to point out here that I'm not saying this happens in every case, and I would hope that at best these instances are a rarity.) Last August I found myself in the unfortunate position of witnessing such treatment to a lady in her 90's, when I found myself back in hospital following post-op complications. [I hasten to add the hospital I was in wasn't my usual hospital as we were away at the time with friends.] Had I not been confined to bed having a blood transfusion at the time I would have done something about it. There was a young girl opposite me, who at 20 was young enough to be my daughter, who also heard what was happening. She was as concerned about the way the patient had been treated as I had been. I don't know whether she took the matter up with the Ward Sister before she left or not, but the following day whilst waiting for my husband to come and pick me up, I made sure I did. It was the least I could do.

When I mentioned the article in The Parkinson to my mother, she immediately said to me "Don't worry, I'll make sure you don't get treated like that next time you're in hospital. I'll be on your case straight away". My mother, bless her, is a formidable lady when on the warpath and I am extremely grateful to her for her support over the last 2 years and long may that continue. But, I also have no plans or desire to be in hospital for a very long time.............

OK - rant over. I shall get off my soap box now. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment